Bethel Methodist Church

Location: Jacksonville, Ark.

Bethel Church was organized in 1864, with its first worship services held in a one-room log cabin that also served as the community schoolhouse, located just south of Bethel Cemetery.

Around 1874, the first church building was constructed on land donated by the John Madison Daniel family, who also donated the cemetery property. Today, descendants of those and many other founding families continue to serve as members and leaders of the church.

Church records date the earliest members to 1864, although some are believed to have taken church vows as early as the 1850s. In those early years, pastors often served as circuit riders, traveling by horseback or horse and wagon to preach at several churches each weekend. They devoted themselves to their congregations, frequently receiving little or no monetary compensation, instead accepting gifts such as milk, eggs, chickens, or fresh vegetables. Annual revivals brought together churches on the circuit, and pastors often stayed with local families while serving these communities.

In 1875, Bethel became part of the Mineral Circuit in the Searcy District of the White River Conference. Although the church was briefly inactive in the early 1880s, it was revived as more families settled in the area. By 1884, church records identified Bethel as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, with Concord serving as its sister church.

In 1907, the Bethel-Cato Circuit was established when Frenchmen’s Mountain Church became Cato Church. The circuit remained in the White River Conference until 1920, when it became part of the North Arkansas Conference.

By 1950, Bethel had outgrown its aging building. A building fund was established, construction began in July 1953, and the cornerstone of the current sanctuary was laid on November 29, 1953. When Cato Church became inactive in 1962, its remaining members transferred their membership to Bethel.

In 1969, Bethel officially became Bethel United Methodist Church following the formation of the United Methodist Church. Continued growth led to eligibility for a full-time pastor in 1978, requiring the construction of a parsonage, which was completed in 1979.

Bethel’s commitment to faithful ministry earned numerous recognitions. The church received the Open Country Church of the Year award for the Conway District in 1979, was named Outstanding Rural Church by the North Arkansas Conference in 1984–85, received the North Arkansas Conference Open Country Church of the Year award in 1990, and was honored as Church of the Year for the Conway District in 2001. Throughout these years, Bethel remained financially faithful, consistently meeting its obligations and remaining debt free.

In 2005, financial considerations led the North Arkansas Conference to pair Bethel with North Pulaski United Methodist Church. From 2008 through 2021, Bethel was served by a part-time pastor dedicated solely to the church before again becoming a sister church with North Pulaski.

In 2022, Bethel disaffiliated from the United Methodist Church and became Bethel Methodist Church, an independent congregation. In 2026, the church joined the Global Methodist Church.

Bethel Cemetery, adjoining the church grounds, is the resting place of many of the area’s earliest settlers and generations of church members, including some of the original members from 1864. The church stands as a living testimony to the faith, courage, and perseverance of those pioneers who traveled from Kentucky, Tennessee, and the Carolinas to establish both a community and a place of worship. Their spirit of neighborliness, hospitality, cooperation, and unwavering faith laid the foundation for generations to come.

For more than 160 years, Bethel has remained at the heart of its community, preserving a rich heritage while continuing to share God’s love with future generations.

Written by Kim Henderson

Cross Street Christian Church, Disciples of Christ

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

A Chronological Timeline of the Life of Cross Street Christian Church: 1908-2026

1900 – Elder M.T. Matlock was the devotional leader for a small group that met near 10th and Spring streets. Other leaders included Elders Tipton, W.T. York, and J.C. Guydon.

1908 – Birth of the current church started in the home of Brother Floyd Womack with Elder W.M. Martin as pastor. Later a church was purchased at 11th and Ringo Street.

1929 – Elder Mancil Mathis Bostick led the congregation in the purchase of a lot at 13th and Cross Street for $2,300. They built Cross Street Christian Church at 1223 Cross Street. It was completed and dedicated in 1929.

19291945 The following pastors were called: L.D. Roval, I.S. Curry, R.F. Hayes, C.B. Fisher and J.O. Bowles. Under Elder Bowles the church paid off all debt, and pews and floor furnaces were bought.

1945 – Rev. O.B. Garner helped the church reach over 100 members. A pastor parsonage was purchased. A vestibule was erected at the front entrance of the church building and an educational unit was built. Rev. Garner went on to serve at Second Christian Church in Lexington, Kentucky.

1952 – Rev. B.J. Fleming started printing the Sunday Morning Bulletin thanks to the purchase of a mimeographing machine. The number of youths who attended Bible School increased.

1957 – Rev. Jimmie Richard served for 10 years. An electric organ was purchased as well as a pulpit and communion furniture, the entire sanctuary was redecorated, walls paneled, fluorescent lighting installed. He left Cross Street to pastor at the Eighth Street Christian Church in Kansas City, Kansas.

1966 – Rev. L. B. Facen served as interim pastor with Rev. E. V. Lyles as assistant pastor and interim pastor.

1967-1981 – Rev. S. J. Compton introduced new programs such as a finance committee, every member commitment program, the ordination of deaconesses, etc. Achievements included furniture for the minister’s study, a typewriter for the office, a new piano, an adding machine, a beautiful painting over the baptistery, new carpet for the sanctuary, paneling around the choir stands, redecoration of the annex and tiling of annex floors and fluorescent lightings, bought and installed an air-conditioner, bought and installed a public address system.   

1983Rev. James L. Demus III was a champion of social justice and community involvement. When he left, he became pastor of Park Manor Christian Church in Chicago, Illinois. 

1987-1990 Rev. Robert Brown, a Timothy of Cross Street, served as pastor. During his administration, the church paid off debt on the parsonage and initiated the tape ministry.

1990Rev. Tracey Ruffin was called to serve. 

1992Rev. Dennis Spivey was called to serve. He was very involved in working with junior and senior high school males in athletics.  

1991 and 1999Rev. Sanford Tollette served two different interims. The first time was before Rev. Spivey and the second time was before Rev. Robert Langford Palmer Sr.

2000-2025 – Rev. Palmer was elected as Senior Pastor. During his time at Cross Street Church, membership grew, especially among the youth members. The Youth Choir was reestablished. The C.H.R.I.S.T. Program was created. C.H.R.I.S.T. meant Christians Helping Reaching Instructing and Serving Teens. 

Major renovations included a new multi-purpose hall, bathrooms, kitchen, church office, pastor’s study, five classrooms, and a parking lot. A Hammond C-3 organ was purchased and a new Toshiba E-studio copier was acquired. 

A new phone system was put in place, as well as a computer network system with a Membership Plus software program. The church’s first website was launched.

More recently, a state-of-the art sound system was installed in the sanctuary as well as new carpet.  The ceiling was repaired and remodeled. Paneled walls were cleaned and varnished. Other walls were painted and repairs were made in the women’s restroom and the utility closet. Regular maintenance of the church building is monitored by a knowledgeable and dedicated board of trustees. 

Ministers ordained during the lifetime of Cross Street Christian Church are as follows: Rev. L.B. Facen, Rev. Raymond Brown, Rev. Robert Brown, Rev. B.J. Mattison, Rev. H.A. Reynolds, Rev. K.D. Cole Jr., Rev. B.J. Holden, and Rev. R.S. Cole. Many served in national positions as leaders.

Written by Alfreda Brown

Mosaic Church of Central Arkansas

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

Mosaic Church was founded on May 17, 2001, by Mark and Linda DeYmaz, in response to a call from God to establish a multi-ethnic and economically diverse church in Little Rock, the heart of Central Arkansas. Mosaic is a church founded in response to the prayer of Jesus Christ (John 17:20-26) for unity and patterned after the New Testament church at Antioch: a church for others. We gathered as a body of Believers dedicated to following Jesus Christ.

On March 31, 2002, Mosaic Church of Little Rock was established. The first pastors of Mosaic were Mark DeYmaz (White) and Harold Nash (African American). These pastors represented the diverse group of Christ followers who began attending Sunday evening services. There was no permanent building for these worship meetings. Various homes, gymnasiums, and other churches’ classrooms were used initially for Sunday worship. Mosaic staff grew to include the reflection of the growing body of believers, African American, White, and Latino. In the Fall of 2002 Harry Li (Chinese) joined the pastoral staff of Mosaic Church,  thus expanding its ethnic diversity.

In 2003, the church rented a vacated Wal-Mart building in the University District, which became our worship center; also, our leadership expanded to include a Spanish-speaking pastor, Cesar Ortega, who began worship service for our first-generation Spanish-speaking brothers and sisters, and lead community outreach ministry, called The Orchard. Church membership grew and ministries grew. Amos Gray (African American) became our first Mosaic Children and Student Ministry Pastor.

Mosaic served a third Sunday community meal to the congregation and community from 2002 through 2013, faithfully prepared by one of the founding members, Hubert Bryant Sr. Additionally, Thanksgiving Dinner and Easter Breakfast have been prepared by Hubert and served to the congregation and community from 2003 to the present day. This is a part of our desire to fellowship in all areas of worship including prayer and Bible study.

We celebrated “Seven Years of Unity in Christ!” on March 29, 2009.

On January 1, 2014, Mosaic Church moved into our permanent home located at 6221 Colonel Glenn Road in Little Rock, a former K-Mart building. Mosaic is centered on the vision of “Hope for All,” a hope that surpasses all segregations and social distinctions to unify believers under the name of Jesus Christ. Our congregation is made up of members of 20-plus countries.

Our growing ministries include added space allowed for the development of more community outreach, international missions, and the establishment of Vine and Village. Vine and Village is a non-profit organization established to improve the quality of life for the people living in and around Little Rock’s emerging University District by helping to meet their spiritual, social, and material needs. Under the umbrella of Vine and Village began the ministry Crescendo Adoradores. The Hope Center was met with an opportunity to partner with Divine Mercy Health Clinic to serve those in the community.

In 2025, Mosaic Church remains dedicated to the vision to “be a healthy multi-ethnic and diverse church” and ever-faithful body of Believers in Jesus Christ reflected in Acts 11:19-26.

Written by Treopia Bryant, Linda Lovett, and Carrie Blankenship

Our Lady of Good Counsel

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

The doors of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church opened in 1894 at the corner of Ninth and Marshall streets. In a small mission church, under the leadership of the first pastor Father P. F. Horan, a community grew. The school opened in the same year and was staffed by two Sisters of Mercy. By 1912 the school, operating in the church building, had outgrown the space and a new four-classroom school, with a parish hall, was built. Under the leadership of Father Herman Wernke, membership continued to steadily grow. As membership grew so did the need for a new church. Father Wernke started a building fund and raised $60,000 to go toward building a church. In 1924 an annex to the school was built to house the rapidly growing number of students.

By 1949 the parish had outgrown the small frame church and construction was started on a new building. Mass was held in what was lovingly referred to as “the basement church.” Before construction could be completed on the second floor of the new building, the school and congregation had outgrown the spaces once again. In 1956, due to more families moving to the west part of the city, the church moved the school to its current location off 12th Street. The new school building was completed first and daily Mass for the children was held in the gym while all other services were still being held in the basement church. In 1961 the decision was made to move the church from the basement to the gymnasium. Once again, the school was expanded, and the first permanent rectory for parish priests was built in 1963.

In 1968 the members of Good Counsel came together to raise money for their new church. Finally, after twenty years of waiting for a formal church building, a groundbreaking ceremony was held in 1969, and the new church was completed in 1970. Through the dedication of the members, the loan for the building was paid off two years early. With a new church, the community continued to grow. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s people of all backgrounds found a home in Good Counsel. From Filipinos, Nigerians, Laotians, Vietnamese, Ugandans, and more, the parish earned the nickname of “The Stained Glass Parish.” The many cultures of Good Counsel helped the church flourish. Through community events like Lenten Soup Suppers, the annual dinner theater, and multicultural festivals, the church became a close-knit family community.

In 2006 the school closed due to low enrollment. The community continued to hold strong. Good Counsel was chosen as the site for the Diocese of Little Rock’s Holy Door of Mercy during the Jubilee Year of Mercy in 2015. This brought thousands of pilgrims to the church. On July 26, 2015, the first Spanish Mass was held and new communities were welcomed. These Latino communities brought with them more ways for the community to connect. The parish now celebrates the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, posadas, and more. What started as a small mission church has grown into a vibrant multicultural community dedicated to their church.

Written by Charlotte Self

Pleasant Hill Christian Methodist Episcopal Church

Location: College Station, Ark.

Pleasant Hill Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, affectionately known as Pleasant Hill C.M.E. Church, is an enduring pillar of faith and community situated just minutes from the Little Rock city limits in College Station, Arkansas. For almost one hundred years, it has provided spiritual support, fellowship, and service to its members and local community.

Founding and Early Years

The church was established in 1927, a time when the College Station area was still developing its identity. Remarkably, Pleasant Hill C.M.E. began in a humble house under the leadership of its first pastor, Rev. H.M. Sledge. This founding moment is a testament to the commitment and faith of the early congregation, who sought to create a space for worship and community gathering.

Origin of the Name

The name “Pleasant Hill” was thoughtfully chosen by Arthur Keown, one of the church’s founding members. The name reflects both the church’s welcoming atmosphere and its aspiration to be a place of peace, hope, and spiritual growth for all who enter its doors.

Role in the Community

Over the decades, Pleasant Hill C.M.E. has not only provided religious services but has also been a source of inspiration, unity, and support for generations of families. Its presence continues to shape the spiritual and social landscape of the area, fostering connections and nurturing faith.

Legacy and Impact

Over the years, Pleasant Hill has had a succession of ministers, each of whom left indelible prints of service. In addition, members of the church have made significant contributions of time, finances, and active service to the church and community.

Since its inception, numerous improvements have been made. This included purchasing of land in 1939 to erect the first building out of old box car scrap to the current facility that was conceived of by Rev. Otis Campbell. That seed was continued by Rev. J.R. Washington, later completed by Rev. Clinton Washington.

Under Rev. D.P. Staggers, an education building was constructed, and bricks were placed around the church under Rev. Marion Arnold. Other ministers such as Rev. Aaron Higgs,  Rev. J.E. Rhynes, Rev. Sanford Tollette, Rev. M.L. Hendricks, Rev. Theartis Ferguson,  Rev. Albert Davidson, Rev. Shelby Taylor, and Rev. Pierre Primm made significant contributions to the education ministry and to the physical facility. During the tenure of Pastor Primm, Barbara Gilkey, a member, worked with a church pew manufacturer who helped the church secure gently used pews donated from a church in Oklahoma.

Rev. Dr. LaVerne Bell Tolliver led the church through the Covid era in 2020 by installing modern technology equipment to keep members engaged in worship. That project continues today with former and current members who donated money, time, and service to enhance the church’s technology.

Currently Rev. Dr. Stevey M. Wilburn Sr. serves as the pastor, and his plans include building the church through ministry outreach.

Written by Barbara Gilkey

Saint Paul Maumelle United Methodist Church

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

Our Church Story

In 1803, the United States acquired approximately 800,000 square miles from France through the Louisiana Purchase, of which about 50,000 square miles were designated as Arkansas Territory. Within three decades, Indigenous populations were removed from Arkansas.

To promote settlement and economic development in Arkansas, railroad companies received substantial land grants for logging and related activities, subsequently selling parcels to incoming settlers. The St. Paul Maumelle Church is situated in a fertile valley flanked by mountains and intersected by three rivers: the Arkansas River, Little Maumelle River, and Big Maumelle River.

Arkansas achieved statehood in 1836. According to the CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas, enslaved individuals made up 25 percent of the state’s population at that time. Although some enslaved people were granted freedom, opposition emerged, resulting in legislation signed by the governor in 1859 mandating that all free Black residents leave the state or face re-enslavement. Black people did not return until after the Civil War ended.  

A Promised Land: Following emancipation in 1865, Arkansas saw significant Black migration from the Deep South, including early St. Paul members from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama. This movement laid the foundation for St. Paul Maumelle.  

Faith: In 1866, William Wallace Andrews, a formerly enslaved person, was ordained to establish churches in Arkansas, founding congregations along the Arkansas River. Assigned to the Arkansas District (Colored), Rev. Andrews established North Point Methodist Church in 1870 for the communities of Roland, Natural Steps, and Maumelle. By 1887, Maumelle members began worshiping closer to home at Thorny Grove on Newton Farms.

In 1903, the congregation built its first church building on land donated by Jim Clark, a Black property owner, and became St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church. The cornerstone was laid that year under Rev. H.E. Harris, with C. Scott as Chairman of Trustees.

Community Work & Education:

As the community expanded, residents saw a need for education for their children. Jim Bailey, a local Black farmer, donated land for “Bailey School,” which operated in a converted barn for grades 1–8 until the mid-1950s. After 1957, these schools closed when desegregation was implemented. St. Paul moved to its current Pinnacle Valley Road location in the 1950s. The congregation celebrated 155 years of ministry in 2025.

Many people in our historical photo are not identified. Sadly, many current members do not recognize people in the photo. But there are documents that note the contributions of the following families: I. Norwood, Pigee, Robinson, Stuman, Miller, Watson, and Thompson.

Former Pastors: Rev. Dan Harris, Rev. J. A. Swift, Rev. John L. Bryant, Rev. W. C. Rivers, Rev. Pat Myers, Rev. Dr. B. F. Neal, Rev. McCroskey, Rev. S. B. Branch, Rev. I. B. Parker, Rev. J. L. Nelson, Rev. J. W. Williamson, Rev. Thomas, Rev. Clark, Rev. W. D. Lester, Rev. P. T. Scruggs, Rev. J. W. Thompson, Rev. Archie Harris,  Rev. A. L. Woodard, Rev. J. W. Winston, Rev. Sanders, Rev. R. B. Brown, Rev. William Hanna, Rev. Brooks, Rev. C. L. Watson, Rev. H. A. Davie, Rev. D. D. Hawkins, Rev. E. T. Hickman, Rev. B. F. Littlejohn, Rev. Lloyd Smith, Rev. E. F. Wallace, Rev. Joe Hughes-temporary pastor, Rev. William Robinson Jr., Rev. Joy Thornton, Rev. J. W. Lofton-supply pastor, Rev. J. W. McGuire, Rev. Tyrone D. Gordon, Rev. Varnell Norman, Rev. Dr. Bennie D. Warner, Rev. J. W. Lofton, Rev. Clyde Pinkston, Rev. Wendell Dorman, Rev. Mark Norman, Rev. Sylvia Bell, Rev. Reginald Russell, Rev. Nathaniel T. Grady, Rev. Anthony Watkins, Rev. LaVon Post, Rev. Maxine Allen, Rev. Edna Hargraves, and Rev. Carissa Rodgers.                                       

Written by Brenda Norwood Henson and edited by Regina Norwood

Second Presbyterian Church

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

Reaching Out: A Snapshot History of Second Presbyterian Church of Little Rock, est. 1882

First Presbyterian Church began establishing a mission church on the western edge of Little Rock in 1882. As plans developed, the future members chose to form a separate congregation. The property, building, and manse were given to the new church. As historian J. Gaston Williamson observed, this “friendly reaching out into a new area of the city with a new church, rather than concentrating all efforts in a single church, set a good pattern for Little Rock Presbyterians” (1988). From its founding, Second Presbyterian Church has embodied this spirit of outreach to its congregation, denomination, and community.

From 1911 to 1939, Rev. Hay Watson Smith served Second with courage and integrity. Ordained in the Congregational Church before joining the PCUS in 1912, he openly acknowledged that his views differed from portions of the Westminster Confession of Faith, including the infallibility of scripture, the method of Creation, and total depravity. His beliefs were challenged repeatedly in the Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly, yet Second stood firmly by him throughout his twenty-nine-year ministry.

In 1917, the Session asked the Presbytery to overturn the General Assembly’s position and support union between the PCUS and the UPUSA, an effort realized decades later with union in 1983. Between 1948 and 1961, Second continued its outward focus by helping establish Westover Hills Presbyterian Church, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, and Grace Presbyterian Church.

Second demonstrated its commitment to racial justice well before the Little Rock school desegregation crisis of 1957, having already held integrated services with Allison Memorial Presbyterian Church. During the turmoil of school integration, the business owned by Elder and Little Rock Mayor Werner Knoop, located across from Second, was bombed. Rev. Boggs and the congregation strongly supported integration throughout this period. His leadership was widely recognized, and in 1960 he was elected Moderator of the General Assembly of the PCUS.

The church has consistently supported ministry beyond its walls. In 1962, Second gave $68,000 in benevolences, nearly equaling its $72,000 in operating expenses. In 1967, women were first elected as Elders and Deacons. After relocating to Pleasant Valley in 1969, Second established the Learning Tree School, an all-day kindergarten serving both Black and white children; it later became a model for the national Head Start Program.

Rev. F. Wellford Hobbie, who studied with Karl Barth in Switzerland, served on the General Assembly committee that wrote the New Declaration of Faith in the early 1970s. During that time, teenagers were elected to the Diaconate for the first time, and Temple B’nai Israel used Second’s facilities while its new temple was under construction.

In the mid-1970s, Second began providing sermon recordings for those unable to attend worship, later adding wheelchair ramps, handrails, hearing assistance devices, and ASL interpretation. In 1977, the church provided major financial support to establish The Stew Pot, serving the downtown indigent.

Elder W. J. Jernigan founded the Shepherd Center, an interfaith ministry for older adults offering educational programs, Meals on Wheels, and handyman services. Second also helped initiate a “Parents’ House” at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in 1979.

In more recent decades, Second became a Covenant Church for Habitat for Humanity, launched the Stephen Ministry, expanded environmental stewardship efforts, and established a Planned Giving Program in 2007, continuing its long tradition of faithful outreach and service.

Condensed history written by Diane Skinner referencing A Concise History of Second Presbyterian Church in Little Rock, Arkansas, 1882–1988 by J. Gaston Williamson and Second Presbyterian Church #50 @60: A Golden Celebration

Taste of Olam Haba

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

Taste of Olam Haba is a progressive, pluralistic Jewish community rooted in Little Rock. It formally organized in 2021, but its history begins earlier, with a series of grassroots gatherings shaped by Jewish ritual, mutual aid, and a growing commitment to justice. The community emerged from relationships built around shared meals, learning, and organizing, and it has developed into an intergenerational, community-led congregation where prayer, study, celebration, and social justice are closely linked. Taste of Olam Haba is fully egalitarian, led by its members rather than clergy, and open to people of all backgrounds, identities, and relationships to Judaism, including non-Jews who wish to participate in building Jewish communal life.

The first Taste of Olam Haba Passover seder took place in 5779 (2019). That gathering established Passover as a central ritual in the life of the community, with seders held every year since. From the beginning, these seders emphasized liberation, collective responsibility, and the relevance of Jewish tradition to contemporary struggles. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the community took clearer shape as members organized Jewish food sharing and baking as forms of mutual aid. These efforts were not simply charitable responses to crisis, but expressions of a developing communal identity grounded in care, interdependence, and shared leadership.

Between 5781 (2020/2021), Taste of Olam Haba increasingly integrated abolitionist and justice-centered frameworks into its religious life. Jewish holidays were used as moments to respond to state violence, racial injustice, and local organizing campaigns. The community also began working beyond Jewish spaces, partnering with Christian collaborators on faith-based abolitionist resources and engaging in advocacy for queer and trans liberation during Arkansas legislative sessions. These years marked a transition from an informal collective to a more visible public Jewish presence in Central Arkansas.

Taste of Olam Haba formally organized as a community during the shmita year of 5782 (2021/2022). The symbolism of shmita, a sabbatical year focused on rest, repair, and redistribution, aligned closely with the community’s values. Rather than establishing a traditional synagogue structure, Taste of Olam Haba committed to a non-clergy-led model. Services, study, and ritual leadership are shared among members, and people of all genders lead prayer. The community draws on a wide range of Jewish traditions and backgrounds while remaining rooted in experimentation and collective learning.

A major shift occurred after October 7, 2023, as global events deeply affected Jewish communities. Taste of Olam Haba responded with sustained programming that combined ritual, education, protest, and collective mourning. The community held space for grief and fear while also engaging publicly around questions of antisemitism, Palestinian liberation, and the responsibilities of Jewish communities in times of war and genocide. 

By 5785 (2024/2025), Taste of Olam Haba entered a new stage of development. The community offered a full cycle of High Holiday observances for the first time and broadened its programming for children, families, and adults. During this period, Taste of Olam Haba received fiscal sponsorship, strengthening its organizational stability. Taste of Olam Haba has continued to expand its religious and public life through regular Shabbat gatherings, holiday observances, study groups, and mutual aid efforts.

Throughout its history, Taste of Olam Haba has understood olam haba, the world to come, as a vision of justice and wholeness created through human action in the present. Rooted in Jewish tradition and Southern social justice movements, the community affirms commitments to antiracism, disability justice, feminism, and trans and gender justice. It supports democracy and self-determination for all peoples and the shared safety of Palestinians and Israelis. As a neighborhood-based Jewish community in Arkansas, Taste of Olam Haba works in partnership with other faith communities and grassroots organizations while remaining grounded in local relationships.

Taste of Olam Haba continues to grow as a spiritual home for progressive Jews and allies in the South. Its history reflects an ongoing effort to build Jewish life that is accountable to tradition, responsive to the present, and oriented toward a more just future.

Written by Stephanie Gray

White Memorial United Methodist Church

Location: Little Rock, Ark.

Every place tells a story, and every story has a beginning. 

Whites Chapel began in July 1889, almost 137 years ago. It was a mission in a crude frame building located at 17th and Valentine Streets, Little Rock, Arkansas. Individuals in attendance included Mr. and Mrs. Burl White, Mr. J. Brown, Mrs. McClendon, Mr. and Mrs. Owens, Mr. Lawson, Mr. E. Burks, and Miss Anne Catlin. Church land was donated by the Whites. Rev. J. J. Freeman was assigned as pastor, until the Conference made its first official appointment. A few years later officers and members decided to build a church. The Whites donated property on 16th Street between Valmer and Valentine Streets. In 1892, the original church was built on this site and the cornerstone was laid. The following ministers served as pastors: Rev. G. N. Johnson 1893-94, Rev. William Lewis 1895-96, Rev. W. H. Morris 1896-97, Rev. Silas McDonald 1898-99, (1925-28); Rev. H. P. Coulter 1899-1900; Rev. M. H. Foster 1900-01;  Rev. J. J. Freeman 1902-06; Rev. A. T. Stephens 1907-08; Rev. George W. Jackson 1908-09; Rev. P. W. Webb 1909-10; Rev. A. R. Ray 1910-13; Rev. J. S. Stokes 1914-16; Rev. P. H. Myers 1917-18; Rev. W. N. Green 1919-22; Rev. Waters McIntosh 1923-25. 

By 1925, officers and members felt the need for a new building. A two-story brick church was erected on the corner of 15th and Valmer, and the cornerstone was laid. Whites Chapel became White Memorial United Methodist Church in memory of the White Family. The Little Rock Conference became the Southwest Conference. More pastors followed,  Rev. C. G. Logan 1929-30; Rev. Will Rivers 1931-32, and was District Superintendent and pastor. Rev. J. J. Jordan 1932-35; Rev. W. S. Sherrill 1936-38;  Rev. P. H. Kelly 1940-41; held the first church anniversary and purchased the parsonage. Rev. J. T. Taggart pastored 1942-44; and a youth program was started. New members joined; church improvements were made in the interior and new pews were added. Rev. A. C. Cabean served in 1945-46; he held the Directory Services on August 4, 1946, and the church became debt free. He passed away, and Rev. M. F. Strong served until Annual Conference. Rev. C. Jarrett Gray 1947-51; the Youth Adult Group and the Methodist Men were organized under him. Because of church growth the building at the corner of 28th and Wolfe Street was rented.

Rev. W. H. Bass pastored 1952-53; the first organ was purchased, Rev. E. C. Sanders 1954-55;  Rev. Oliver W. Gibson 1956-59; under the leadership of Rev. Amos Wamble 1960-61, new choir robes were purchased. Rev. E. F. Wallace served 1961-62; Rev. E. M. Johnson 1962-68; his family was a great asset to the church. Under his influence and leadership, the church building  was purchased in 1969. Rev. C. C. Hall 1969-71 was assigned, and the first service was held on June 15 (Father’s Day) “The Understanding Father.” On April 25, 1971, the second cornerstone was laid, what a jubilant celebration! Rev. J. Walter Lofton 1972-73; Rev. Varnell Norman 1973-78 was sent as lay minister;  established the “Golden Cross Guild,” the church library, and the Commission on Education in memory of Mrs. Edith Strong. 

Rev. Maxwell Jones served in 1986-87; started an Outreach Committee, sponsored the first “Homecoming Celebration”; the theme was “We’ve Come This Far by Faith.” Rev. Vincent Harris served 1988-89; Rev. James Scruggs 1989-2011, along with his children. Under Rev. Scruggs attendance increased again; annual Musical Extravaganza Programs were started, calendar tea-fashion shows, and the food bank. Rev. Clyde Hughley 2011-12; Rev. Jimmy Mosby 2013-14; Rev. Danita Waller-Paige 2014-19; implemented “Bless This House” musical programs and started the after-school snack program.

 The current 44th pastor Rev. Renee W. P. Willett, appointed  in 2019; have made substantial repairs to the church (roof, interior repairs, electrical, painting), the after-school snack program has expanded to serving 200 children weekly; a literacy component will celebrate its 10th year in 2026, the “Father’s Club” (mentoring program) was started with the Arkansas Birthing Project, and we’re partnering with other United Methodist Churches; as we continue to have an ethnically, racially, spiritually diverse volunteer cadre; “Following Jesus, Loving People, Sharing Grace”!

Written by Mr. Hugh Holloway, Mrs. Allie Rice, Mrs. Gloria Strong Wilson (historian); revision by Mrs. Elnora Jackson, Mrs. Ruth Johnson (1980); revision by Mrs. Eddie Doyne-Willett, Mrs. Jennifer Johnson, and Pastor Renee W. P. Willett (2026)