Using the Collections
- All researchers must register during each visit. Photo identification is required at each entry. Researchers will be required to fill out a use form, which will become part of the CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies’ permanent file.
- Researchers may bring belongings such as purses, briefcases, and other personal property into the CALS Roberts Library Research Room. However, these items will be subject to search prior to departure.
- Food, drink, and smoking products are not allowed in the CALS Roberts Library Research Room.
- Cell phones must be turned off or put on vibrate.
- CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies materials do not circulate, and use of materials is restricted to the CALS Roberts Library Research Room.
- A request form must be filled out for materials in the closed stacks area (manuscript collections, photographs, pamphlets, maps, etc.).
- No more than three books or folders will be pulled at one time. Manuscript collections are limited to one folder at a time.
- Researchers may be required to wear gloves in order to handle some items.
- Researchers must not lean on, write on, fold anew, or set other items on top of original materials.
- Researchers must maintain existing order and arrangement of unbound materials.
- In general, appointments must be made in advance to use media formats that require playback equipment, such as LPs, audiotapes, videotapes, and films. In cases where the CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies holds unique or archival examples, materials must be reformatted before they can be accessed, sometimes at the researcher’s expense. Please contact us for further information or to schedule access to audio-visual materials. Access cannot be guaranteed unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Please contact us for further information or to schedule access to the permanent art collection.
For information on using CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies materials in publications or on websites, please see our Use and Permission Policy.
- Hand-held personal digital cameras or camera phones may be used in the CALS Roberts Library Research Room only with the permission of our reference staff.
- Permission must be obtained in advance from CALS Roberts Library Research Room staff, and the items being photographed will be evaluated for physical condition, copyright issues, and donor restrictions.
- Use of a flash or other lighting is prohibited.
- Use of tripods or camera supports will not generally be permitted. Flatbed or hand-held scanners are not permitted.
Images obtained of materials in our Research Room must not be used for publication or used on a website without permission of the CALS Roberts Library. For information on using CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies materials in publications or on websites, please see our Use and Permission Policy.
The CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies will photocopy unrestricted manuscript materials in accordance with the following terms and conditions:
- Researchers will complete and sign a “Photocopy Request Form” for each collection containing materials that are to be reproduced.
- Items selected for duplication must be properly identified.
- Reproduction of materials will be governed by any and all of the duplication restrictions that govern the research use of a specific collection.
- Reproductions will be used only for personal reference and research purposes.
- Images will not be published or broadcast in any media, exhibited, or displayed online without the express written permission of the CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies.
- Images will not be added to the holdings of another library or archival repository.
- The CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies will not duplicate entire collections or material that is on microfilm.
- Photographs and maps will not be photocopied.
- Orders will be handled in the order in which they were received, with the exception of large orders (250+ pages), which will be worked on steadily as time and smaller orders allow.
- CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies staff members will make the final determination on whether an item can be photocopied based upon condition, size, and donor agreements.
- CALS Butler Center for Arkansas Studies reserves the right to refuse or to limit a duplication request.
- When searching our finding aids, you will find audio/video materials within collections that have not be digitized. Researchers can request that these audio/video materials be digitized. To request materials, please contact Anna Lancaster.
- Please allow three business days for digitizing requests to be processed.
- After three business days, patrons will be notified by CALS Roberts Library staff that digital items are ready.
- The material will be available for one week at any CALS branch. The patron can search arstudies.com to access their audio/video.
- If you need an extension to view the materials, please contact Anna Lancaster.