Nuestra Communidad: Our Community
Para ver esta página en español, haga clic derecho y elija ‘Translate page’ luego seleccione español en la esquina superior derecha.
For Hispanic Heritage Month 2022, CALS Butler Center recorded nine oral history interviews with Arkansas community members that are either part of the Latine and Hispanic communities in Arkansas or work closely in Latine and Hispanic community development in the state.
In 2023, we will expand on that effort by training Hispanic and Latine youth within Central Arkansas to conduct oral history interviews. Those trained will conduct interviews with someone in their community they admire and can be paired with another member of Central Arkansas’s Hispanic or Latine community to interview them about their life.
Watch previously recorded interviews here.
Would you like to be a Youth Oral Historian?
Register for training here.
We will be hosting training at the Dee Brown Library on September 18 from 6:00 – 7:30 PM. Trainees will receive information on how to conduct an interview and access to equipment to facilitate interviews. Trainees will also have the opportunity to be paired with another member of the community to interview that they do not know if they desire.
Interviews and training will be offered in both English and Spanish
Recommendations for capturing interviews
- Oral History Resources
- Using Your Cell Phone and Using Zoom to capture an interview
- Story Corps Best Practices for Conducting an Interview – Video
- Story Corps Tips for a Great Conversation
- Interview Questions for Capturing Migration Stories
from ‘Moving Stories’
- Moving Stories Learning Guide
Learn how listening to one another, relating to those experiences, and learning from those narratives builds community
- To donate your interview: email interview file and completed AGREEMENT to Danielle Afsordeh
Hispanic Genealogy Resource Recommendations
- Family Search Hispanic Family History Wiki page
- 12 Hispanic and Latino Genealogy Websites and Resources
- 14 Useful Free Resources for Hispanic Genealogy
Hispanic Genealogy Organizations in the United States
- The Hispanic Genealogical Society of New York
- The Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research
- Hispanic Genealogical Society of Houston (Facebook Group)
- New Mexico Genealogical Society
- Puerto Rican Hispanic Genealogical Society
- Los Californianos
State Libraries and State Archives in Former Spanish or Mexican Territories
- Arizona Historical Society
- Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records
- California State Archives
- California State Library
- Florida State Archives
- New Mexico State Library
- Texas State Library and Archives Commission
College or University Collections with Latin American Collections
- Florida International University Libraries Latin American and Caribbean Information Center
- Tulane University Latin American Library
- University of California, Berkeley Bancroft Library Latin Americana Collection
- University of New Mexico Center For Southwest Research
- University of South Florida, Florida Studies Center
Land Grant Information